Sunday, May 11, 2008

First Post-about me

I've started this blog as a place to post research and thoughts about my current project on a sociology of apocalypticism. I am an assistant professor at Appalachian State University in the Philosophy and Religion Department. My area is Religion and Social Theory, though I also teach and have an interest in the New Testament. My project here is an attempt to understand how apocalypticism (the religious belief that the world will end shortly) works sociologically, how if functions for groups that espouse it. Much of what you will read here will be summaries and commentary on articles and books about that subject. I warn you in advance none of it will be along the lines of "Who is the Anti-Christ?" or "How close is the rapture." The individuals who ask those questions are the subject of my inquiry, but their questions are not my questions. I want to look at this phenomena through the lens of social theory and history and understand the movement, but I am not a member of that movement.

If this sounds like an interesting pursuit, I invite you to come along. It should be the ride of all time :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snake Handlin, all my blood does it. :)